Sunday, July 23, 2006

mmmm....Rhubarb Upside Down Cake



My Mum gave me some rhubarb....I love rhubarb, so..........

2 tbsp. butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups diced rhubarb
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk

Melt the butter in a deep fry pan or pot on stove and then add brown sugar and diced rhubarb.

For the batter, cream shortening and sugar together.
Add egg and beat well.
Sift the flour; add baking powder and salt, sift again.
Sift dry ingredients together and add alternately with milk.
Pour batter over rhubarb in a cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.
Test ahead with toothpick.
Turn upside down on a plate to serve

Shame yesterday was my eat anything in any amount day. But I will have a small piece and calculate it into my eats for the day. When my jeans started to get too snug I knew it was time to behave. Just because I`m not 20 anymore, I refuse to let myself go. Is that vain? Maybe. But I feel good about myself because of it.
And although sweet hubby says he doesn`t mind what size I am, I know he`s happy :)

6 comments:

Shelley said...

Oh that's a keeper! I love Rhubarb anything.

Miss Robyn said...

My rhubarb is resting for winter but I will sure try it in summer. thanks !

Michelle said...

Oh, that looks good! Now I want to bake - darnit! :-)

Gary said...

I have never eaten rhubarb, but if that cake tastes as delicious as it looks, I might eat the whole thing.

Heather said...

This looks sooooo good and I might even be drooling but as a lady I cannot confirm. (wink)

Diana LaMarre said...

That looks delicious. I am copying the recipe.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such nice comments.

I love the name of your blog!