Sunday, February 18, 2007

Square Foot Gardening and more Flooring...

We had a fun time at last night`s party and I collected some books I`d ordered the other day at the post office. One was called Square Foot Gardening. It`s the closest thing I`ve seen to my idea of squaring off sections of the veg garden with bricking, rather than doing typical rows.

Lots of good tips and info.Sorry about the dark picture.......



I also grabbed this while getting goroceries. Love Italian food and I`m not giving up yet on my culunary skills! Oh and I also bought two small tart tins hehe. And yes Sigrun, I am a fan of Jamie Oliver. His cooking isn`t the healthiest for watching that waistline, but he sure makes it look and sound good!

Picked up 19 more boxes of floor planking. One left over from the kitchen, so with 20 we should have enough for the hall and front room. Also some weather proof carpet for the front door area and back. The black backing is showing here, but it`s a mix of mottled browns in a fairly rich shade for a utility carpet. It will look better than the usual flat and dull dirty beigey brown ones there were to choose from. Wanted something that didn`t shout too loudly that it was there. A mud porch would be the perfect thing to have, but this is the best solution we can come up with. We`ve moved over the long low bookcase at the front door that seperates the hall from the front room as you walk in. This makes that area wider for coming in and taking off boots etc. The eventual den/bedroom is now even more cluttered than ever. This picture is the tidiest spot! Filled with crates of books and things with nowhere to go. Lots of ideas for that room, but it will have to wait.

10 comments:

Kahshe Cottager said...

Way to go Tea .. I'm glad to hear that you are not giving up on your culinary skills especially when what I have seen so far looks good!

I love that we are nearing spring and can start thinking about garden plans too!

Happy dreaming... Happy planning ... Happy eating!!!!!

Unknown said...

Someone's going to be busy!

I love this time of year, when we shake off the darkness of winter, and start to plan for the year ahead - we've got similar plans to you (total refurb inside and out!)

Enjoy!

Christine Boles said...

My mom did square foot gardening when I was growing up~ I think it was the 80s. But I believe she still does her strawberry patches this way.
You are a busy little bee, lately! I love hearing about all you've been doing, and seeing the before, during and after photos!

Daisy Lupin said...

Hi I'm back in blog land after my hard drive crash. I love the idea of gardening for vegs in small squares. Now I am being nosy and trying to see if I can enlarge the photo to see what the title of the books in the bookcase are. I am very nosy about books lol!

Tea said...

Aw...sorry Daisy, I made the pics all small. I also like to look at other peoples books though LOL!

tea
xo

Gill said...

Well looks like this will be great when it is done~!
When you cook up some Italian from the book be sure to post a photo!
You still inspired me with your grape foccacia.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are going to be a buzy bee! Oh, and thank you so much for the brownie recipe, I cant wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

heck, you're going to be busy! I really like the idea of the square foot gardening book, as one of the gardening programmes on BBC2 has been demonstrating that complete grow-your-own can be done on a 3x3 metre plot in raised beds, very similarly to the front cover of that book. It's also far less tiring for the back than kneeling down all the time!

Anonymous said...

Oh my you are going to be soo busy, hope you will still find time for Corrie!

JacquiG said...

I've also got the Square Foot Gardening book, but mine is an older version, no colour inside and a very young Mel Bartholomew on the cover! Good luck with your garden. I'm hoping to get something done with mine this year.

The flooring in your kitchen looked great, so your living room will too! Looking forward to pictures as you go along.

Jackie