Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Blue Grape Focaccia

This caught my eye in a gardening magazine and I`m going to try making it this weekend. If blue grapes are not found on grocery day, I`m going to see how it works with cranberries for now. Stay tuned.....hopefully it`s not such a mess that I don`t want to take a picture LOL

Featured in the Canadian "Gardening Life" magazine August/September 2004

Make the most of the short season of locally grown blue grapes with a delectable focaccia.


1 envelope (8 g) fast-acting dry yeast
2 1/2 cups (625 mL) bread or all-purpose flour (approx.)
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
3/4 cup (175 mL) very warm water
1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
1 tbsp (15 mL) liquid honey
1/4 cup (50 mL) melted butter
2 cups (500 mL) blue grapes, halved and seeded if necessary
1/3 cup (75 mL) muscovado or granulated sugar

Step 1: Stir yeast with flour and salt and reserve. Stir water with lemon juice, honey and melted butter in a large bowl. Stir in half the flour mixture and blend well. Stir in remaining flour mixture and turn out onto the counter. Knead for five minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding up to 1/2 cup (125 mL) extra flour if necessary. Place in a lightly buttered bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Rest for 10 minutes.

Step 2: Turn dough out of the bowl and press out all the air. Roll dough into a large rectangle. Scatter half the grapes over the dough and sprinkle with half the sugar. Brush around the edge of the dough with a little water and fold dough like a letter to make a rectangle. Crimp the edges to seal. Sprinkle with remaining grapes, turning skin-side up and pressing gently into the dough. Sprinkle with sugar. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Step 3: Tent bread with plastic wrap and let rise for one hour. Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C). Bake focaccia on middle rack for 25 to 30 minutes or until well browned. Immediately loosen bread from pan with a spatula (it will be saucy on the bottom) and slide onto a rack to cool.

Makes 1 loaf.

Drink Match: A bubbly Italian Prosecco is a good choice for brunch, but if serving with a cheese course, opt for a California Zinfandel.

*** Picture Uploading Tip
I`ve noticed that unless it`s really early in the morning, I can`t upload pictures from the Firefox browser I use. Using Internet Explorer seems to work with no problems.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The picture looks great to me, hope it tastes just as good.

Kahshe Cottager said...

It looks yummy ... and made with cranberries (or perhaps cherries) and a sprinkle of icing sugar, wouldn't it be a treat for your sweetheart Valentine's Day?

PS ... I linked you on my site ~ I hope you don't mind. I visit you almost every day now. 8-)

James Higham said...

I should think the cranberries would work very well.

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Tea, that looks like a wonderful cake to have with tea. Let us know how it turns out. I rarely bake because I'd eat it all... no one to help me... lol.

I have Firefox and I swear by it. Wayyy better than IE. I have no problems loading pictures.

Have a great day!

Rosa said...

Oh yum. Yummy yum yum.

Tea said...

Kahshe Cottager....I`m honoured :)
I have yours too although under your other blog name.

tea
xo