Tuesday, December 05, 2006

"The Day Young Angus Damn Near Kicked the Bucket" by The Cat That Would Be Heard



It was a bright and sunny winter Sunday morning some eight years ago and I lay sleeping on back of the love seat by the big window.
The mistress was home alone and was tidying in her pajamas and slippers when all of a sudden Daisy began to wriggle and squirm and bark at the window.
One eye popped open to see what the fuss was about. Then the other eye followed in shock. Across the driveway where the pond lay covered in a thin layer of ice was a horrifying sight to see.
Young Angus had fallen through and was swimming back and forth like a large orange fish under the crust, frantically trying to find his way out through the hole he had fallen in.
As I stood up and Daisy continued to bark, the mistress glanced over to see what the ruckus was about.
I dare not repeat what she exclaimed as she ran out the door in a flash, though I must confess to mumbling the same. Out she ran into the snow, Daisy behind her and I, staying by the window for a better view.
Out the mistress ran, toward the pond crying "Angus, oh Angus! Help" The Nana heard her cry and came running down the laneway as she frantically crashed her way through the ice and pushed toward poor Angus, waist deep in water.
She grabbed him and pulled him out and stumbled and struggled back to the shore. I didn`t know what to think as I saw her, legs scratched and one slipper floating behind, with her arms holding Angus out toward the Nana to grab so she could get herself out of the ice bits and cold water.
The sight was rather quite horrendous. Her weeping and gasping. "Mouth to mouth, mouth to mouth Mum!" she shouted. And the unconscious Angus in her outstretched arms, with his legs all sticking up and his mouth hanging open! A truly pitiful sight, yet almost comical, they both looked, when I can safely remeber it now knowing all went well. "Angus, you`re a gonner." I thought at that moment. "You`ve finally messed by that water for the last time, dear boy."

The Nana grabbed him and quick as a wink, put him on his back and opened his mouth and breathed in.....and breathed in again....and again. To my joy and amazement, Angus got up!
The mistress grabbed him and hugged him and kissed him and cried. Why she would cry is a puzzle to me. You would think she would be quite over-joyed. But never mind. The miracle was that young Angus had survived thanks to dear Daisy dog and her rescue team.
He seems to have learned his hard lesson by jove, with a lecture from me as well, I might add, as I blinked back my own tears of silent gratitude.
Yes indeed....young Angus had survived on that bright and sunny winter Sunday morning.

"Fino a che non veniamo a contatto di ancora, e Natale molto allegro a voi e ad il vostro..." or " Until we meet again, a very Merry Christmas to you and yours."

~Theodore

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for nine lives...

Rowan said...

What an incredible story Theodore - I hope the mistress had a nice hot bath and a large whisky toddy after that experience! And I expect Angus was spoiled to bits, I'm glad to hear that you gave him a stern lecture on the subject of cats and ponds not being a good combination! Hehehe - I'll bet the mistress did look funny though now you look back:):)

Anonymous said...

That's terrific story, very heartwarming.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness Angus is okay.

VintagePretty said...

I'd say that's a very very lucky cat! Wow, what a story, I'm glad he's ok - although I can imagine it didn't do you very much good!

HORIZON said...

ok- l am on the edge of my seat here :) Glad Angus (great name by the way) survived his ordeal!
I have not been around much lately, my brother and his lovely wife had a new wee baby boy. We have been really busy.
Just wanted to comment on your lovely kitchen area- beautiful work. Well done.
xx

Anonymous said...

Oh, geez.
I'm winking back tears~

Anonymous said...

What an amazing story!
I'm so glad Angus survived!
Thank you for sharing this...

:-)

tami said...

i'm tearing up just reading about it!

Anonymous said...

Poor Angus..what a narrow escape.
Thank goodness Super Nan was there to render CPR.
;-)

Shelley said...

Wow...I agree with the others, quite an amazing story. Luckily it ended well. Hugs,

Shelley

Bob said...

Thats a nice story. There is no such thing as a dumb animal, just dumb people who don't bother to listen to them.

Anonymous said...

What a cute story.....and this really did happen, right? Angus is one lucky fella.....

Saur♥Kraut said...

awwwww! Give Angus a big kiss on the whiskers for me. And an extra hug. And some fresh tuna.

JacquiG said...

Wow, what a story ... and well written, Theodore! I am glad that the story ended well and Angus is fine. Must have been quite a scare of the Mistress though!

Jackie in ON

rel said...

Teddy,
This story gives credence to the adage that sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.
A well told tale my friend. You should start interviewing publishers.
Say meow to Tea for me. ;-)
rel

Rosa said...

Wow, how many lives are left? What a story! Bad cat Angus!